There is still time to apply to become Warminster’s Town Crier. Anyone interested in the post can apply to Warminster Town Council Friday 2nd September 2022.
People may be surprised to discover that being a Town Crier is not about shouting and that making the loudest noise is not the most important requirement.
Important qualities for a town crier are:
* Clarity. This is important because someone can be very loud and yet listeners cannot understand the content.
* Good pronunciation. Get this right and provided the volume is constant at one level the point will be put across.
* Intonation (the rise and fall of the voice and emphasis on delivery of words). A listener will soon tire if a cry is delivered in a monotone.
All of which is great news for anyone thinking of applying but worried that they don’t have the loudest voice. A clear, melodious voice with projection rather than shouting is what is required. Town criers date back to at least 1066 as they are depicted in the Bayeux Tapestry!
The position is open to anyone 18 years and over. A Town Crier costume will be provided for use at events. Duties the Town Crier may be asked to perform include
- Making an announcement or declaration at a Warminster event
- Pose for photographs with the public /tourists
- Attending events such as Christmas Light switch on, Remembrance Day parade, Spring in the Park
Advice and Support is available from the Ancient and Honourable Guild of Town Criers that represent official town criers all over the world who meet to compete in friendly competition and strive to help each other be the best.
This is an unpaid position (expenses can be claimed).
Apply with a cover letter explaining why you would like the position and why you would be suitable to: The Town Clerk, Warminster Town Council, Warminster Civic Centre, Sambourne Road, Warminster, BA12 8LB Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is noon Friday 2nd September 2022 and selection will take place on the morning of Saturday the 10th September 2022 at the Band stand in the Lake Pleasure Ground where you will be given cry to read out.
Last modified: 9 August 2022